MINNEAPOLIS — With 37 wrestlers going a combined 94-46 with 61 bonus-point decisions, the Augsburg University men’s wrestling team claimed six champions and co-champions at its Augsburg Invitational, held on Saturday at Si Melby Hall.
Sixteen Auggies competed in Gold division brackets, with 13 claiming top-six individual finishes, including two championships. In the Gold division, Auggies went 42-22 with 11 pins, nine technical falls, and six major decisions.
Solomon Nielsen (SR, Luverne, Minn./Luverne HS), the top-ranked 174-pounder in the latest National Wrestling Coaches Association Division III national poll, improved to 7-0 with his weight-class title. Nielsen claimed two technical falls and a major decision en route to his title match, which he won with a 1:26 pin. Of his seven wins, he has two pins, two technical falls, and two major decisions.
Tyler Shilson (JR, Maple Grove, Minn./Centennial HS) opened his 2021-22 season by winning the title at 157 pounds. He opened with a pair of technical falls and a major decision, then claimed an 11-6 win over Chase Luensman of Upper Iowa, the No. 9-ranked wrestler in the NWCA’s Division II preseason national poll.
Tyler Kim (JR, Burnsville, Minn./Apple Valley HS), ranked No. 4 in the latest Division III national rankings at 285 pounds, finished second in his weight class, recording three pins. He is now 8-1 on the season with five pins and a major decision.
Nick Rogge (SR, Eastman, Wis./Prairie du Chien HS), ranked No. 4 nationally at 184 pounds, went 3-1 with two technical falls and a major decision to finish third. Bentley Schwanebeck-Ostermann (JR, Loyal, Wis./Marshfield HS) went 3-1 with a major decision to place third at 197. Brady Gross (JR, Rosemount, Minn./Apple Valley HS) finished third at 141 with two pins, Kieler Carlson (SO, Lakeland, Minn./Stillwater HS) finished third at 133 with a pin, and Charlie Stuhl (SO, Ellsworth, Wis./Ellsworth HS) finished third at 149 with a technical fall.
Finishing fourth in Gold divisions were Justin Stauffacher (JR, Belle Plaine, Minn./Belle Plaine HS (Scott West), 125) and Matt Rogge (FY, Eastman, Wis./Prairie du Chien HS, 165). Tanner Kroells (JR, Montrose, Minn./Delano HS, 149) and Kaden Reetz (So, Madison, Wis./Madison Memorial HS, 157) each finished sixth.
In divisions for first-years and newcomers, Max Sokolski (FY, Bonduel, Wis./Bonduel HS) and Seth Goetzinger (FY, Chatfield, Minn./Chatfield HS) shared the title at 165 pounds, while Parker Venz (FY, Farmington, Minn./Farmington HS) and Tyler Raway (FY, Wyoming, Minn./Forest Lake HS) shared the title at 197.
First-years and newcomers went 52-24 in Saturday’s action, with 23 pins, three technical falls, and nine major decisions.
UP NEXT: Augsburg hosts a triangular meet with the Stevens Institute of Technology (N.J.) and Wisconsin-Eau Claire on Wednesday (11/24), starting at 11 a.m. at Si Melby Hall. Augsburg is ranked No. 4 in the latest NWCA Division III national poll, while Stevens is ranked No. 3.
AUGSBURG GOLD DIVISION RESULTS BY WEIGHT CLASS
- 133: Kieler Carlson 3-1, 3rd place; Justin Stauffacher 2-2, 4th place.
- 141: Brady Gross 3-1, 3rd place.
- 149: Charlie Stuhl 3-1, 3rd place; Tanner Kroells 3-2, 6th place; Tony Esteban 0-2.
- 157: Tyler Shilson 4-0, 1st place; Kaden Reetz 3-2, 6th place; Tate Torgerson 2-2.
- 165: Matt Rogge 2-2, 4th place; Connor Thorsten 3-2, co-7th place; Carl Leuer 1-2.
- 174: Solomon Nielsen 4-0, 1st place.
- 184: Nick Rogge 3-1, 2nd place.
- 197: Bentley Schwanebeck-Ostermann 3-1, 3rd place.
- 285: Tyler Kim 3-1, 2nd place.
AUGSBURG FIRST-YEAR DIVISION RESULTS BY WEIGHT CLASS
- 125: Dominic De’Altonaga 4-1, 3rd place; Yim-Leej Yang 2-2, 4th place; Wyatt Kaczrowski 3-2, 6th place.
- 133: Austin Gabbert 3-1, 2nd place; Carson Murray 3-1, 3rd place.
- 141: Cade Willis 3-1, 2nd place; Aedon Oberdorfer 2-2; Brock Moore 1-2.
- 149: Lukas Paulson 3-2, 4th place; Kyle Romano 0-1.
- 157: Blake Jagodzinske 3-1, 2nd place; Jacob Heiden 1-2.
- 165: Max Sokolski 3-0, co-1st place; Seth Goetzinger 3-0, co-1st place.
- 174: Carter Sorenson 3-0, 2nd place; Carter Paulson 3-1, 3rd place.
- 184: Erick Ramos 1-2.
- 197: Parker Venz 3-0, co-1st place; Tyler Raway 3-0, co-1st place.
- 285: Jagger Schack 3-1, 3rd place; Hunter Gorecki 2-2.