COLLEGEVILLE, Minn. — Nick Rogge (SR, Eastman, Wis./Prairie du Chien HS) used two technical falls to claim the individual title at 194 pounds, leading the Augsburg University men’s wrestling team at the Saint John’s University North Country Open on Sunday.
Augsburg, ranked No. 4 in the latest National Wrestling Coaches Association Division III tournament national rankings and No. 8 in the dual team rankings, had 14 of its 22 wrestlers finish in the top six in the Gold division at the competitive tournament, which included several top regional programs in both Division I and Division II. No team results were kept at the meet.
Rogge, ranked No. 11 in Division III at 184 pounds, scored a 15-0 technical fall over Patrick Curran of Wisconsin-Oshkosh and a 16-0 technical fall over Danny Reynolds of Division II Augustana (S.D.) to capture the 184-pound title, improving to 19-2 on the season and 84-18 in his career. Of his 19 wins this season, 17 are bonus-point wins — three pins, 12 technical falls and two major decisions.
Sam Stuhl (JR, Ellsworth, Wis./Ellsworth HS) finished second at 141 pounds. Stuhl, ranked No. 2 nationally at 141, opened with a 19-2 technical fall, then topped Drew Woodley of Division I Iowa State 4-1, before falling 10-4 in the finals to St. Cloud State’s Joey Bianchini, the No. 1-ranked 141-pounder in Division II. A mid-season transfer from Division I North Dakota State, Stuhl is now 15-3 on the season, 11-1 as an Auggie.
Derek Steele (FY, Winthrop, Minn./Sibley East HS) finished second at 125 pounds, scoring a pin in a 2-1 afternoon. He is now 18-4 this season.
Solomon Nielsen (SR, Luverne, Minn./Luverne HS), ranked No. 3 nationally at 174, finished third at 174 pounds. He dropped an 8-6 decision to Dominic Murphy of St. Cloud State, the No. 5-ranked Division II 174-pounder, in the semifinals, but came back with a 20-7 major decision in the wrestlebacks and a 10-5 win over Mannix Morgan of Division I North Dakota State in the third-place match. Nielsen is now 23-2 on the year.
Tyler Kim (JR, Burnsville, Minn./Apple Valley HS), ranked No. 7 nationally at 285 pounds, finished fourth in his weight class, while Tyler Shilson (JR, Maple Grove, Minn./Centennial HS), ranked No. 2 at 157 pounds, went 3-1 on the day to finish fifth in his weight class.
Justin Stauffacher (JR, Belle Plaine, Minn./Belle Plaine HS (Scott West)) finished third at 133 pounds, while Matt Rogge (FY, Eastman, Wis./Prairie du Chien HS) and Parker Venz (FY, Farmington, Minn./Farmington HS) each placed fourth at 165 and 197, respectively.
Kaden Reetz (SO, Madison, Wis./Madison Memorial HS) finished fifth at 149, Carter Paulson (SO, Rice Lake, Wis./Rice Lake HS) placed fifth at 174, Austin Gabbert (FY, Lester Prairie, Minn./Watertown-Mayer HS) placed fifth at 133, Tyler Raway (FY, Wyoming, Minn./Forest Lake HS) finished sixth at 197, and Charlie Stuhl (SO, Ellsworth, Wis./Ellsworth HS)) placed sixth at 149.
Eleven Auggies competed in Silver division classes, wtih Carter Sorenson (FY, Lengby, Minn./Fosston HS) winning the title at 174 pounds with a 3-0 performance, including a pin and 17-0 technical fall.
UP NEXT: Augsburg hosts Wartburg (Iowa) in the annual “Battle of the Burgs” dual meet this Thursday (1/27) at 7:30 p.m. at Si Melby Hall. Wartburg is currently ranked No. 1 in the NWCA’s Division III tournament national rankings and No. 6 in the dual-meet rankings.
AUGSBURG RESULTS BY WEIGHT CLASS
- 125 Gold: Derek Steele 2-1, 2nd place; Wyatt Kaczrowski 0-2.
- 133 Gold: Justin Stauffacher 3-1, 3rd place; Austin Gabbert 2-2, 5th place
- 133 Silver: Carson Murray 2-2, 5th place.
- 141 Gold: Sam Stuhl 2-1, 2nd place; Cade Willis 1-1; Brady Gross 0-2.
- 141 Silver: Brock Moore 0-2; Aedon Oberdorfer 0-2.
- 149 Gold: Kaden Reetz 3-1, 5th place; Charlie Stuhl 2-2, 6th place; Tanner Kroells 1-2; Antonio Esteban 0-2.
- 157 Gold: Tyler Shilson 3-1, 2nd place.
- 157 Silver: Jacob Heiden 2-2, 4th place; Blake Jagodzinske 2-1, 5th place.
- 165 Gold: Matt Rogge 1-2, 4th place; Connor Thorsten 1-2; Carl Leuer 0-2; Isaiah Thompson 0-2.
- 165 Silver: Seth Goetzinger 3-1, 5th place.
- 174 Gold: Solomon Nielsen 2-1, 3rd place; Carter Paulson 1-2, 5th place.
- 174 Silver: Carter Sorenson 3-0, 1st place.
- 184 Gold: Nick Rogge 2-0, 1st place.
- 184 Silver: Adam Sylvester 2-1, 5th place; Erick Ramos 2-2, 6th place.
- 197 Gold: Parker Venz 1-2, 4th place; Tyler Raway 1-3, 6th place.
- 285 Gold: Tyler Kim 1-2, 4th place.
- 285 Silver: Vincent Gladbach 2-1, 5th place; Jagger Schack 0-2.
Check out Auggies Wrestling at athletics.augsburg.edu and on Facebook and Twitter.