CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. — Three South Dakota State wrestlers advanced to Sunday’s semifinals at the Southern Scuffle with a strong opening day Saturday.
Clay Carlson, the top seed at 141 pounds, posted a 3-0 record on the day to remain undefeated this season with a 16-0 mark. A junior from Willmar, Minnesota, Carlson began the day with a second-period fall against Heath Gonyer of Appalachian State, then posted a 25-8 technical fall over Luis Ramos of CSU Bakersfield.
In Saturday’s evening session, Carlson tallied a 9-4 decision against Quinn Kinner of Rider. Carlson will face fourth-seeded Allan Hart of Missouri in semifinal action Sunday.
Second-seeded Cade DeVos also earned a spot in the semifinals with three convincing wins at 174 pounds. The sophomore from Altoona, Iowa, opened with a 6-2 decision over Andrew Berreyesa of Cornell (N.Y.), followed by back-to-back major decisions against Adrien Cramer of Maryland, 12-4, and Arthur Urias of CSU Bakersfield, 13-4.
DeVos is slated to square off against Iowa’s Brennan Swafford in Sunday’s semifinal.
At 197 pounds, fifth-seeded Tanner Sloan outscored his three opponents by a 26-3 margin en route to the semifinals. A two-time NCAA qualifier from Alburnett, Iowa, Sloan notched a 15-0 technical fall against Ben Stemmet of The Citadel in his opening bout. He then tallied respective 5-2 and 6-1 decisions against Rjaron Smith (Maryland) and Garrett Joles (Minnesota).
Sloan will meet top-seeded Rocky Elam of Missouri in a 197-pound semifinal.
Teammate Nick Casperson came up short in his bid to making it an all-Jackrabbit semifinal as he suffered a 17-2, second-period technical fall at the hands of Elam in the evening session. After receiving an opening-round bye, Casperson moved into the quarterfinals with a 14-9 victory over Stanford’s Andrew Stemmet.
Also reaching the quarterfinals for the Jackrabbits was 149-pounder Zach Price, who was seeded fourth. Price rallied for a 4-3 victory with a last-second takedown in his opening-round matchup against Josh Brown of CSU Bakersfield, then reeled off two more convincing victories. A junior from Johnston, Iowa, Price chalked up a 16-0 technical fall over Sebastian Collazo of The Citadel and notched a 7-2 decision against Michigan State’s Eddie Homrock.
Price’s attempt for the semifinals was ended in a 5-3 loss to fifth-seeded Victor Voinovich of Oklahoma State.
Both Casperson and Price will wrestle in consolation action Sunday. In all, 15 of the 16 Jackrabbits to compete in the meet won at least one match on Saturday.
As a team, the Jackrabbits ended the day in fourth place with 58 points as Big 12 Conference squads hold four of the top six spots. Missouri leads the 30-team field with 83 points, followed by North Dakota State with 61.5 points and Michigan State with 61. Cornell (50 points) and West Virginia (47.5) are next behind SDSU.
Action is scheduled to resume at 11 a.m. Eastern Time (10 a.m. Central) Sunday at McKenzie Arena.
Following is a complete listing of Jackrabbit results from the opening day of the Southern Scuffle:
125: Tanner Jordan, So., St. Paris, Ohio (1-2 record)
• lost to #2 Patrick McKee, Minnesota, by major dec., 11-3
• major dec. Aedyn Concepcion, Gardner-Webb, 16-3
• lost to Brett Unger, unattached, by dec., 1-0
133: Caleb Gross, So., Pound, Wis. (2-2 record)
• lost to #2 Codi Russell, Appalachian State, by major dec., 15-4
• def. Jackson Bradford, The Citadel, by fall 2:27
• def. Aidan Campbell, Little Rock, by fall 5:40
• lost to #6 Sean Carter, Appalachian State, by dec., 10-4
133: Trayton Anderson, So., Northfield, Minn. (0-2 record)
• lost to #4 Jackson Disario, Stanford, by fall 4:53
• lost to #3 Kellyn March, North Dakota State, by dec., 6-2
141: #1 Clay Carlson, Jr., Willmar, Minn. (3-0 record)
• def. Heath Gonyer, Appalachian State, by fall 5:45
• tech. fall Luis Ramos, CSU Bakersfield, 25-8 (6:45)
• dec. Quinn Kinner, Rider, 9-4
• vs. #4 Allan Hart, Missouri
149: #4 Zach Price, Jr., Johnston, Iowa (3-1 record)
• dec. Josh Brown, CSU Bakersfield, 4-3
• tech. fall Sebastian Collazo, The Citadel, 16-0 (2:12)
• dec. Eddie Homrock, Michigan State, 7-2
• lost to #5 Victor Voinovich, Oklahoma State, by dec., 5-3
• vs. Jeff Boyd, West Virginia
149: Alek Martin, Fr., St. Paris, Ohio (2-1 record)
• lost to Tyler Williams, Drexel, by dec., 6-2
• major dec. Corbin Dion, Gardner-Webb, 14-6
• tech. fall Sebastian Collazo, The Citadel, 18-0 (2:24)
Martin withdrew from tournament due to injury
149: Daniel Kimball, So., Buckingham, Iowa (2-2 record)
• lost to Cody Chittum, unattached, by dec., 10-5
• dec. Matthew Williams, Chattanooga, 6-1
• dec. Tyler Williams, Drexel, 5-3 [SV-1]
• lost to Jeff Boyd, West Virginia, by dec., 3-1 [SV-1]
157: Kenny O’Neil, Jr., Prior Lake, Minn. (1-2 record)
• lost to #4 Chase Saldate, Michigan State, by dec., 2-0
• dec. Alec Bobchin, Rider, 4-1
• lost to Cole Nance, Bellarmine, by dec., 4-2
157: Cael Swensen, Fr., Plymouth, Minn. (1-2 record)
• dec. Lincoln Heck, Chattanooga, 8-3
• lost to Brock Mauller, Missouri, by dec., 6-1
• lost to Terrell Barraclough, Penn State, by fall 6:16
165: Jack Thomsen, So., La Porte City, Iowa (2-2 record)
• lost to William Formato, Appalachian State, by major dec., 14-3
• dec. Noah Grover, Buffalo, 5-2
• dec. Clayton Ulrey, Virginia Tech, 8-5
• lost to Tyler Brennan, Little Rock, by dec., 11-8
174: #2 Cade DeVos, So., Altoona, Iowa (3-0 record)
• dec. Andrew Berreyesa, Cornell, 6-2
• major dec. Adrien Cramer, Maryland, 12-4
• major dec. Arthur Urias, CSU Bakersfield, 13-4
• vs. Brennan Swafford, Iowa
184: Cade King, Jr., Waseca, Minn. (1-2 record)
• def. Barrett Blakely, Appalachian State, by fall 2:11
• lost to D.J. Parker, North Dakota State, by dec., 6-1
• lost to Chase Mielnik, Maryland, by dec., 6-5
197: #5 Tanner Sloan, Jr., Alburnett, Iowa (3-0 record)
• tech. fall Ben Stemmet, The Citadel, 15-0 (5:08)
• dec. Rjaron Smith, Maryland, 5-2
• dec. Garrett Joles, Minnesota, 6-1
• vs. #1 Rocky Elam, Missouri
197: Nick Casperson, Jr., Beresford, S.D. (1-1 record)
• dec. Andrew Stemmet, Stanford, 14-9
• lost to #1 Rocky Elam, Missouri, by tech. fall, 17-2 (4:04)
• vs. Andy Smith, Virginia Tech
285: #5 A.J. Nevills, Jr., Clovis, Calif. (2-2 record)
• def. Grayson Walthall, Chattanooga, by fall 4:04
• lost to Tyrie Houghton, North Carolina State, by dec., 6-4
• dec. Seth Nitzel, Missouri, 13-6
• lost to Owen Trephan, North Carolina State, by major dec., 12-4
285: Bowen McConville, Jr., Renton, Wash. (1-2 record)
• lost to Seth Nevills, Penn State, by dec., 7-2
• dec. Nicco Colucci, Rutgers, 3-1
• lost to Peter Ming, Stanford, by dec., 8-2