MINNEAPOLIS — For the third time, the Augsburg University women’s wrestling team has earned a top-10 finish in the National Wrestling Coaches Association’s NCAA women’s academic team national race, with a team grade-point average of 3.766 ranking third among all NCAA-affiliated women’s programs, it was announced recently.
Ten Auggies were named NWCA Division III Scholar All-Americans: Sierra Brown Ton (JR, Allen, Texas/Einstein HS), Kahlea Jolly (JR, Lino Lakes, Minn./Centennial HS), Charlotte Kouyoumtjian (FY, Porterville, Calif./Monache HS), Katie Lange (FY, Sherburn, Minn./Martin County West HS), Nina Makem (FY, Shakopee, Minn./Shakopee HS), Destynie Pacheco (JR, El Paso, Texas/Pebble Hills HS), Kya Rybachek (SO, Mountain Iron, Minn./Hibbing HS), Emily Shilson (JR, Maple Grove, Minn./Mounds View HS), Gabby Skidmore (JR, Spooner, Wis./Cumberland HS) and Savannah Vold (SR, Rochester, Minn./Mayo HS).
Augsburg has earned 24 NWCA Women’s Scholar All-Americans over the past three seasons. Last year, the Auggies finished fourth in the NCAA national ranking with a 3.586 team GPA and nine Scholar All-Americans; In 2019-20, the Auggies finished sixth with a 3.06 team GPA and five Scholar All-Americans.
Under first-year head coach Jake Short, Augsburg finished in sixth place at the 2022 National Collegiate Women’s Wrestling Championships, with four All-Americans and an individual national titlist. Augsburg completed its third season as a varsity program with its third straight top-10 NCWWC finish.
- A pre-law major with a 3.81 GPA, Brown Ton finished 7-7 this season with four pins at 136 pounds, earning a trip to the NCWWC national tournament for the second time in her career. She is now 55-34 in her college career, including a 9-12 record in two Auggie seasons.
- An education major with a 3.85 GPA, Jolly finished 6-11 this season at 155 pounds with a pin and a technical fall, qualifying for his fourth straight national tournament and third straight NCWWC championships. She is 11-23 in her Augsburg career.
- A business major with a 4.00 GPA, Kouyoumtjian finished 12-10 this season at 123 pounds with three pins and six technical falls, qualifying for the NCWWC national tournament.
- A business major with a 3.91 GPA, Lange finished 18-1 in her first Augsburg season at 143 pounds, with seven pins and nine technical falls.
- An education major with a 3.46 GPA, Makem finished with a 29-6 record with three pins and 17 technical falls in her first Auggie season, finishing second at the NCWWC national tournament at 136 pounds.
- A psychology major with a 3.60 GPA, Pacheco finished with a 7-7 record at 170 pounds with four pins and three technical falls. Pacheco is 13-26 in her collegiate career, 9-13 at Augsburg.
- An education major with a 3.79 GPA, Rybachek finished 12-11 at 143 pounds with six pins and five technical falls, qualifying for the NCWWC national tournament for the second time. She is now 18-16 in her college career.
- A finance major with a 4.00 GPA, Shilson finished 25-0 with seven pins and 13 technical falls, winning the NCWWC national title at 109 pounds for the third straight year and her fourth straight national title. Shilson is 47-0 in her college career.
- An exercise science major with a 3.02 GPA, Skidmore finished 21-8 this season with nine pins and seven technical falls, earning her third All-America honor with an eighth-place finish at 123 pounds. She is 40-15 in her Augsburg career.
- An exercise science major with a 3.88 GPA, Vold finished 9-9 this season with a pin and four technical falls at 130 pounds. She is 25-37 in her college career, 16-21 at Augsburg.
Check out Auggies Women’s Wrestling at athletics.augsburg.edu.