MINNEAPOLIS — Winning six of the 10 individual titles in the Gold division, and having 30 of 38 wrestlers finish in the top eight in their weight classes, the Augsburg University men’s wrestling team had a successful effort in its own Augsburg Invitational, held on Saturday at Si Melby Hall.
Thirty-eight Augsburg wrestlers (24 in Gold division, 14 in First-Year division) competed in the meet, finishing with a combined record of 109-40 (.732) on the day. Of the 109 wins, 63 were bonus-point triumphs — 35 pins, 11 technical falls and 17 major decisions. Augsburg won six of the 10 weight-class titles in the Gold division, and four of the 10 titles in the First-Year division.
No. 3-ranked 285-pounder Tyler Kim (JR, Burnsville, Minn./Apple Valley HS) improved to 8-0 with his second straight tournament win to open the season. He claimed first-period pins in his first three bouts to reach the finals, claiming a 7-2 title win over Zach Ryg of Division II Upper Iowa. Of Kim’s eight wins this season, five are by pin.
Seth Goetzinger (SO, Chatfield, Minn./Chatfield HS) remained unbeaten at 8-0 with his second tourney triumph, going 4-0 with two pins and a major decision to win the 174-pound weight class. Goetzinger has four pins among his eight wins to open the season.
No. 6-ranked 141-pounder Sam Stuhl (JR, Ellsworth, Wis./Ellsworth HS) avenged a loss last week to Tate Murty of Upper Iowa, the No. 8-ranked 141-pounder in the Division II preseason national rankings, in the Auggie Invite finals, scoring a 7-3 win. Stuhl went 5-0 on Saturday, with two sub-minute pins, a 16-0 technical fall and a 12-1 major decision, to improve to 9-1 on the season.
Younger brother Charlie Stuhl (SO, Ellsworth, Wis./Ellsworth HS) improved to 8-1 on the season with four victories to claim the 149-pound weight class title, claiming a pin and two major decisions en route to Saturday’s crown.
No. 7-ranked 197-pounder Bentley Schwanebeck-Ostermann (JR, Loyal, Wis./Marshfield HS) won his first tournament of the season, going 4-0 with two pins and a major decision to improve to 7-2 on the season. Teammate Parker Venz (SO, Farmington, Minn./Farmington HS) won all four of his matches by pin, including a 3:36 triumph over No. 15-ranked 197-pounder Gabriel Zierden of Concordia-Moorhead, to win the title at 197.
Four Auggies finished second in their weight classes on Saturday — Wyatt Kaczrowski (SO, Seymour, Wis./Seymour HS) at 125, Kaden Reetz (SO, Madison, Wis./Madison Memorial HS) at 149, No. 6-ranked Matt Rogge (SO, Eastman, Wis./Prairie du Chien HS) at 165 and Carter Sorenson (SO, Lengby, Minn./Fosston HS) at 174.
Finishing third for Augsburg were No. 13-ranked Cade Willis (SO, Kansasville, Wis./Union Grove HS) at 133, Blake Jagodzinske (SO, Sherburn, Minn./Martin County West HS) at 157 and Tanner Kroells (JR, Montrose, Minn./Delano HS) at 165. Austin Gabbert (SO, Lester Prairie, Minn./Watertown-Mayer HS) placed fourth at 141.
In the First-Year division, 13 of 14 wrestlers earned places, led by 125-pounder Keno Vanier (FY, Edina, Minn./Edina HS) and 285-pounder Robert Beese (FY, Amery, Wis./Amery HS), who won their weight-class titles. Gavin Hilyar (FY, Elk River, Minn./Elk River HS) and Thomas Oswald (SO, Osceola, Wis./Osceola HS) shared the title at 133, and Cole Becker (FY, Albertville, Minn./St. Michael-Albertville HS) and Lucas Jagodzinske (FY, Sherburn, Minn./Martin County West HS) shared the title at 149.
UP NEXT: Augsburg hosts Wisconsin-Eau Claire in a dual meet on Tuesday 911/23) at 3 p.m. at Si Melby Hall.
AUGSBURG RESULTS BY WEIGHT CLASS
- Gold 125: Wyatt Kaczrowski 3-1, 2nd place.
- First-Year 125: Keno Vanier 3-0, 1st place.
- Gold 133: Cade Willis 3-1, 3rd place; Carson Murray 2-2.
- First-Year 133: Gavin Hilyar 2-0, co-1st place; Thomas Oswald 1-0, co-1st place.
- Gold 141: Sam Stuhl 5-0, 1st place; Austin Gabbert 3-2, 4th place; Brady Gross 3-2, 8th place; Aedon Oberdorfer 1-2.
- First-Year 141: Griffin Slezewski 1-3, 6th place.
- Gold 149: Charlie Stuhl 4-0, 1st place; Kaden Reetz 3-1, 2nd place; Lukas Paulson 0-2.
- First-Year 149: Cole Becker 4-0, co-1st place; Lucas Jagodzinske 3-0, co-1st place; Karson Casper 4-1, 5th place; Devin Shimabukuro 2-2.
- Gold 157: Blake Jagodzinske 4-1, 3rd place; Tyler Shilson 2-0.
- First-Year 157: Trenton Dow 3-1, 2nd place.
- Gold 165: Matt Rogge 3-1, 2nd place; Tanner Kroells 3-1, 3rd place; Max Sokolski 0-2.
- First-Year 165: Cooper Willis 3-1, 2nd place; Bowen Rothbauer 4-1.
- Gold 174: Seth Goetzinger 4-0, 1st place; Carter Sorenson 3-1, 2nd place; Connor Thorsten 3-2, 6th place; Erick Ramos 0-2.
- First-Year 174: Brant Bombard 3-1, 2nd place.
- Gold 184: Bentley Schwanebeck-Ostermann 4-0, 1st place.
- First-Year 184: Brian Ramos 3-0, 1st place.
- Gold 197: Parker Venz 1-1, 2nd place.
- Elite 285: Tyler Kim 4-0, 1st place; Jagger Schack 2-2, 6th place; Hunter Gorecki 1-0.
- First-Year 285: Robert Beese 3-0, 1st place.