DECORAH, Iowa — With three individual champions and 15 placewinners among 25 wrestlers competing in the Elite division, the No. 2-ranked Augsburg University men’s wrestling team opened its 2022-23 season with a strong performance at the Luther College Open on Saturday.
A total of 39 Augsburg wrestlers (25 in Elite division, 14 in Silver division) competed in the 19-team open tournament, going 130-58 on the day with 25 pins and 12 technical falls. Augsburg entered the season ranked No. 2 in the National Wrestling Coaches Association Division III national poll.
Tyler Shilson (SR, Maple Grove, Minn./Centennial HS), ranked No. 2 in the Division III preseason national rankings at 157 pounds, claimed four bonus-point victories in going 5-0 to win the title in his weight class. He claimed three technical falls and a pin en route to the title match against Drake Hayward of Division II Minnesota State-Mankato, which Shilson won by a 3-2 decision. Shilson is coming off a third-place national finish last season.
Tyler Kim (JR, Burnsville, Minn./Apple Valley HS), ranked No. 3 in the preseason national rankings at 285 pounds, won his weight class with four victories, including pins in his first two bouts. He scored a 3-2 win over Bradley Hill of Division I Iowa in the semifinals, then claimed a 10-3 triumph over Cullen Quick of Luther (Iowa) in the finals. Kim finished fourth in last season’s national tournament.
Seth Goetzinger (SO, Chatfield, Minn./Chatfield HS) scored a tournament victory at 174 pounds, going 4-0 with two pins, including a 3:19 win over 2022 NJCAA national tourney qualifier Walker Ingham of Rochester Community and Technical College in the finals.
No. 6-ranked 141-pounder Sam Stuhl (JR, Ellsworth, Wis./Ellsworth HS) finished second in his weight class, claiming a pin and major decision in his first four matches before suffering an 8-4 loss to Tate Murty of Upper Iowa, the No. 8-ranked 141-pounder in the Division II preseason national rankings, in the finals.
No. 10-ranked 165-pounder Matt Rogge (SO, Eastman, Wis./Prairie du Chien HS) finished second in his weight class, going 4-1 with a 58-second pin. His lone loss came in an 8-4 decision to Chase Luensman of Division II Upper Iowa in the finals.
Three Auggies finished third in their weight classes with 4-1 performances — No. 5-ranked 125-pounder Derek Steele (SO, Winthrop, Minn./Sibley East HS), Charlie Stuhl (SO, Ellsworth, Wis./Ellsworth HS) at 149 pounds and Adam Sylvester (SO, Minneapolis, Minn./Totino-Grace HS) at 174. Steele had two technical falls and two pins, Stuhl had a technical fall and a major decision, and Sylvester had a technical fall and a major decision.
Cade Willis (SO, Kansasville, Wis./Union Grove HS) placed fourth at 133 pounds, as did No. 4-ranked 197-pounder Bentley Schwanebeck-Ostermann (JR, Loyal, Wis./Marshfield HS) at 184 pounds and Parker Venz (SO, Farmington, Minn./Farmington HS) at 197.
Blake Jagodzinske (SO, Sherburn, Minn./Martin County West HS) placed fifth at 157, Lukas Paulson (SO, Becker, Minn./Becker HS) placed sixth at 149, Wyatt Kaczrowski (SO, Seymour, Wis./Seymour HS) finished seventh at 125 and Brady Gross (JR, Apple Valley, Minn./Apple Valley HS) finished seventh at 141.
In the Silver division, 10 of 14 wrestlers earned places, led by 184-pounder Brian Ramos (FY, Perham, Minn./Perham HS) and 285-pounder Robert Beese (FY, Amery, Wis./Amery HS), who won their weight-class titles.
Augsburg hosts its annual Augsburg Invitational next Saturday (11/19) at 9 a.m. at Si Melby Hall.
AUGSBURG RESULTS BY WEIGHT CLASS
- Elite 125: Derek Steele 4-1, 3rd place; Wyatt Kaczrowski 3-2, 7th place.
- Silver 125: Keno Vanier 2-3, 8th place.
- Elite 133: Cade Willis 2-2, 4th place; Carson Murray 0-2.
- Silver 133: Thomas Oswald 5-1, 5th place; Gavin Hilyar 4-2, 7th place.
- Elite 141: Sam Stuhl 4-0, 2nd place; Brady Gross 4-2, 7th place; Austin Gabbert 2-2; Aedon Oberdorfer 0-2.
- Silver 141: Griffin Slezewski 1-2.
- Elite 149: Charlie Stuhl 4-1, 3rd place; Lukas Paulson 3-2, 6th place; Kaden Reetz 2-2.
- Silver 149: Cole Becker 4-1, 2nd place; Lucas Jagodzinske 4-1, 5th place; Karson Casper 4-2, 7th place; Devin Shimabukuro 1-2.
- Elite 157: Tyler Shilson 5-0, 1st place; Blake Jagodzinske 4-1, 5th place.
- Silver 157: Trenton Dow 1-2.
- Elite 165: Matt Rogge 4-1, 2nd place; Tanner Kroells 3-2; Max Sokolski 1-2.
- Silver 165: Cooper Willis 2-1, 2nd place; Bowen Rothbauer 0-2.
- Elite 174: Seth Goetzinger 4-0, 1st place; Adam Sylvester 4-1, 3rd place; Connor Thorsten 3-2; Erick Ramos 0-2.
- Silver 174: Brant Bombard 3-1, 3rd place.
- Elite 184: Bentley Schwanebeck-Ostermann 3-2, 4th place.
- Silver 184: Brian Ramos 3-0, 1st place.
- Elite 197: Parker Venz 2-2, 4th place.
- Elite 285: Tyler Kim 4-0, 1st place; Jagger Schack 1-2; Hunter Gorecki 1-2.
- Silver 285: Robert Beese 5-0, 1st place.