MOUNT VERNON, Iowa — Claiming three weight-class titles and 16 top-eight finishes among its 25 competitors, the Augsburg University men’s wrestling team finished with a second-place finish at the Cornell College Cliff Keen-Mike Duroe Invitational, held on Saturday.
Twenty-five Augsburg wrestlers, primarily its young reserve competitors, competed in the 15-team meet, putting together an 83-41 record with 23 pins, nine technical falls and four major decisions on the day. Coe (Iowa) won the tournament with 214.5 points, with host Cornell finishing third with 117.5 points.
The lone Auggie dual-meet starter to compete in the meet, No. 11-ranked 133-pounder Cade Willis (SO, Kansasville, Wis./Union Grove HS), went 5-0 with a pin and major decision to capture his weight class. He closed the tournament with a 3-1 win over No. 12-ranked Alex Friddle of Coe in the finals, improving to 16-7 on the season with five pins and three major decisions.
Brady Gross (JR, Rosemount, Minn./Apple Valley HS) captured his first tournament victory of the season, winning the 141-pound title with four victories, including a technical fall and a first-period pin, improving to 27-7 on the year and 77-30 in his collegiate career.
Blake Jagodzinske (SO, Sherburn, Minn./Martin County West HS) claimed his third tournament title of the season, winning the 157-pound title with a 4-0 day, including two pins. Jagodzinske improved to 26-4 with 11 pins this season.
Carter Sorenson (SO, Lengby, Minn./Fosston HS) finished third at 174 pounds, going 4-1 on the day with a pin and a technical fall, improving to 19-4 on the year.
Lukas Paulson (SO, Becker, Minn./Becker HS) placed fourth at 157, as did Tanner Kroells (JR, Delano, Minn./Delano HS) at 165 and Adam Sylvester (SO, Minneapolis, Minn./Totino-Grace HS) at 174.
Placing fifth for the Auggies were Wyatt Kaczrowski (SO, Seymour, Wis./Seymour HS) at 125, Cole Becker (FY, Albertville, Minn./St. Michael-Albertville HS) at 149, Brian Ramos (FY, Perham, Minn./Perham HS) at 184 and Jagger Schack (SO, Osseo, Minn./Osseo HS) at 285. Gavin Hilyar (FY, Elk River, Minn./Elk River HS) placed sixth at 133, as did Kaden Reetz (SO, Madison, Wis./Madison Memorial HS) at 157.
Karson Casper (FY, Coleman, Wis./Coleman HS) and Lukas Jagodzinske (FY, Sherburn, Minn./Martin County West HS) shared seventh place honors at 149, and Connor Thorsten (SO, Foley, Minn./Foley HS) finished eighth at 174.
Augsburg travels for a dual meet at the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh next Saturday (1/21) at 1 p.m.
Augsburg Results By Weight Class
- 125: Wyatt Kaczrowski 5-1, 5th place.
- 133: Cade Willis 5-0, 1st place; Gavin Hilyar 5-1, 6th place; Carson Murray 2-2; Thomas Oswald 1-2.
- 141: Brady Gross 4-0, 1st place; Aedon Oberdorfer 1-2; Griffin Slezewski 0-2.
- 149: Cole Becker 5-1, 5th place; Karson Casper 4-2, co-7th place; Lucas Jagodzinske 3-2, co-7th place; Devin Shimabukuro 1-2.
- 157: Blake Jagodzinske 4-0, 1st place; Lukas Paulson 3-2, 4th place; Kaden Reetz 3-1, 6th place.
- 165: Tanner Kroells 3-2, 4th place; Bowen Rothbauer 1-2.
- 174: Carter Sorenson 4-1, 3rd place; Adam Sylvester 3-2, 4th place; Connor Thorsten 4-2, 8th place; Erick Ramos 1-2.
- 184: Brian Ramos 4-1, 5th place;
- 285: Jagger Schack 4-1, 5th place; Robert Beese 1-2; Hunter Gorecki 1-2.