EAU CLAIRE, Wis. — Blake Jagodzinske (SO, Sherburn, Minn./Martin County West HS) claimed an individual title at 157 pounds, leading the Augsburg University men’s wrestling team in competition at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire Don Parker Open, held on Saturday.
A total of 25 Augsburg wrestlers, primarily varsity reserves, competed at the 29-team open tournament, the final tournament of the regular season for the Auggies. Augsburg wrestlers combined for a 65-42 record on the day, with 10 pins, eight technical falls and four major decisions. Nine Auggies finished among the top eight in their weight classes.
Jagodzinske improved to 31-4 on the season with his tournament title at 157 pounds, going 5-0 with a pin. He scored a 4-0 win over North Dakota State’s Mason Gode in the semifinals, then edged Wisconsin’s Cody Goebel 7-6 in the finals. Jagodzinske currently has an 18-match winning streak, winning titles in his last four tournaments.
Robert Beese (FY, Amery, Wis./Amery HS) finished second at 285 pounds, going 4-1 on the day with a pair of pins, to improve to 23-6 with seven pins in his first collegiate season.
Brady Gross (JR, Rosemount, Minn./Apple Valley HS) finished third at 141 pounds, going 4-1 with two pins and a technical fall, to improve to 31-8 on the season with 14 pins, three technical falls and two major decisions. He is now 81-30 in his college career with 37 pins.
Wyatt Kaczrowski (SO, Seymour, Wis./Seymour HS) went 3-1 to finish third at 125 pounds, improving to 22-13 on the season.
Placing fifth for Augsburg were Cole Becker (FY, Albertville, Minn./St. Michael-Albertville HS) at 149, Austin Gabbert (SO, Lester Prairie, Minn./Watertown-Mayer HS) at 141 and Kaden Reetz (SO, Madison, Wis./Madison Memorial HS) at 157. Tanner Kroells (JR, Delano, Minn./Delano HS) placed sixth at 165, and Brandt Bombard (FY, North Branch, Minn./North Branch HS) placed eighth at 174.
Augsburg finishes its regular season next Saturday (2/11) at 2 p.m., hosting Concordia College-Moorhead in a dual meet at Si Melby Hall.
Augsburg Results By Weight Class
- 125: Wyatt Kaczrowski 3-1, 3rd place.
- 133: Gavin Hilyar 2-2, consolation 2nd place; Thomas Oswald 0-2; Carson Murray 0-2.
- 141: Brady Gross 4-1, 3rd place; Austin Gabbert 4-1, 5th place; Aedon Oberdorfer 1-2; Griffin Slezewski 0-2.
- 149: Cole Becker 4-1, 5th place; Lucas Jagodzinske 4-2, consolation 2nd place; Karson Casper 1-2.
- 157: Blake Jagodzinske 5-0, 1st place; Kaden Reetz 4-1, 5th place; Trenton Dow 2-2; Lukas Paulson 1-2.
- 165: Tanner Kroells 3-2, 6th place; Max Sokolski 3-1, consolation 1st place; Bowen Rothbauer 0-2.
- 174: Brandt Bombard 2-3, 8th place; Carter Sorenson 2-1, co-consolation 1st place; Connor Thorsten 2-1, co-consolation 1st place; Erick Ramos 0-2.
- 285: Robert Beese 4-1, 2nd place; Vincent Gladbach 2-2; Hunter Gorecki 1-2.