TULSA, Okla. — South Dakota State’s Tanner Sloan won both of his matches Thursday to advance to the quarterfinals of the 197-pound weight class on the opening day of the NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships at BOK Center.
One of eight Jackrabbits competing in the three-day national tournament, Sloan was the lone SDSU wrestler to win two matches Thursday, outscoring his opponents by a 12-1 margin. Seeded seventh, Sloan opened the day with an 8-1 decision over Ohio State’s Gavin Hoffman, then came back in the evening session with a 4-0 shutout of 10th-seeded Jacob Cardenas of Cornell.
A senior from Alburnett, Iowa, Sloan is slated to face second-seeded Bernie Truax of Cal Poly in the quarterfinals Friday morning.
Three other Jackrabbit wrestlers who won their opening-round matches were defeated in the Round of 16 Thursday night.
In another matchup between SDSU and Cornell, the Big Red came out on top as fourth-seeded Chris Foca downed the Jackrabbits’ Cade DeVos, 8-2, at 174 pounds. DeVos recorded a pin of Central Michigan’s Alex Cramer in the opening round.
At 141 pounds, 2021 All-American Clay Carlson was edged by sixth-seeded Beau Bartlett of Penn State, 3-2. The 11th-seeded Carlson opened the day with a 6-1 decision over Lehigh’s Malyke Hines.
Jackrabbit heavyweight A.J. Nevills was bested by third-seeded Greg Kerkvliet of Penn State in a 14-2 major decision. Nevills opened the tournament with an 8-1 decision over Jonah Niesenbaum of Duke.
Overall, the Jackrabbits finished the day with a combined record of 8-9. Picking up victories after opening-round setbacks to remain in contention for the podium were 157-pounder Cael Swensen and Tanner Cook at 165 pounds. Swensen notched a 7-0 decision over Corbyn Munson of Central Michigan during the evening session, while Cook chalked up his 12th pin of the season with a first-period fall against Will Formato of Appalachian State.
SDSU 125-pounder Tanner Jordan also picked up a win Thursday night in the consolation prelims, posting a 4-0 decision over Cal Poly’s Antonio Lorenzo after falling in his pigtail match to open the tournament. Jordan was later eliminated with a loss by fall to Missouri’s Noah Surtin.
The lone Jackrabbit wrestler to not win a match Thursday was 184-pounder Cade King. A senior from Waseca, Minnesota, King dropped a pair of decisions, losing 3-0 to ninth-seeded Isaiah Salazar of Minnesota and falling 7-2 to No. 8 Matt Finesilver of Michigan.
Competition at the NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships resumes at 11 a.m. Friday.
South Dakota State Results
125: #32 Tanner Jordan, Jr., St. Paris, Ohio (1-2 record)
• lost to #33 Tucker Owens, Air Force, by dec., 2-1
• def. #30 Antonio Lorenzo, Cal Poly, by dec., 4-0
• lost to #14 Noah Surtin, Missouri, by fall 4:26
Jordan eliminated; ends season with 18-16 overall record
141: #11 Clay Carlson, Sr., Willmar, Minnesota (1-1 record)
• def. #22 Malyke Hines, Lehigh, by dec., 6-1
• lost to #6 Beau Bartlett, Penn State, by dec., 3-2
• vs. #28 Saul Ervin, SIU-Edwardsville,
157: #20 Cael Swensen, R-Fr., Plymouth, Minnesota (1-1 record)
• lost to #13 Trevor Chumbley, Northwestern, by dec., 6-3
• def. #29 Corbyn Munson, Central Michigan, by dec., 7-0
• vs. #19 Garrett Model, Wisconsin
165: #22 Tanner Cook, Jr., Ilion, New York (1-1 record)
• lost to #11 Cameron Amine, Michigan, by fall 6:30
• def. #27 Will Formato, Appalachian State, by fall 1:11
• vs. #12 Izzak Olejnik, Northern Illinois
174: #13 Cade DeVos, Jr., Altoona, Iowa (1-1 record)
• def. #20 Alex Cramer, Central Michigan, by fall 2:13
• lost to #4 Chris Foca, Cornell, by dec., 8-2
• vs. #14 Benjamin Pasiuk, Army
184: #24 Cade King, Sr., Waseca, Minn. (0-2 record)
• lost to #9 Isaiah Salazar, Minnesota, by dec., 3-0
• lost to #8 Matt Finesilver, Michigan, by dec., 7-2
King eliminated; ends season with 16-11 overall record
197: #7 Tanner Sloan, Sr., Alburnett, Iowa (2-0 record)
• def. #26 Gavin Hoffman, Ohio State, by dec., 8-1
• def. #10 Jacob Cardenas, Cornell, by dec., 4-0
• vs. #2 Bernie Truax, Cal Poly
285: #14 A.J. Nevills, Grad., Clovis, California (1-1 record)
• def. #19 Jonah Niesenbaum, Duke, by dec., 8-1
• lost to #3 Greg Kerkvliet, Penn State, by major dec., 14-2
• vs. #29 Jaron Smith, Maryland
1 Penn State – 26.0
2 Iowa – 21.5
3 Missouri – 17.5
T4 Minnesota – 16.5
T4 North Carolina State – 16.5
T6 Cornell – 15.5
T6 Nebraska – 15.5
T8 Michigan – 14.5
T8 Ohio State – 14.5
T10 Arizona State – 13.0
T10 Virginia Tech – 13.0
T10 Wisconsin – 13.0
T13 Iowa State – 12.0
T13 Northwestern – 12.0
15 Northern Iowa – 11.0
16 South Dakota State – 10.5
T17 Illinois -10.0
T17 Oklahoma State – 10.0
T17 Stanford – 10.0
20 Air Force – 9.5
Check out Jackrabbit Wrestling at gojacks.com and on Twitter | Facebook | Instagram. Buy Jackrabbit Tickets