IRVING, TEXAS — Nineteen South Dakota State wrestling student-athletes were honored Wednesday as members of the 2023 Winter Academic All-Big 12 Team.
Of SDSU’s 19 honorees, 14 were first-team selections:
- Ethan Bowman, Sr., Jamestown, North Dakota – Landscape Architecture;
- Derrick Cardinal, R-Fr., Forest Lake, Minnesota – Exercise Science/Pre-Medicine;
- Clay Carlson, Sr., Willmar, Minnesota – Animal Science/Pre-Veterinary Medicine;
- Nick Casperson, Sr., Beresford – Exercise Science/Pre-Chiropractic Medicine;
- Tanner Cook, Jr., Ilion, New York – Public Relations;
- Cade DeVos, Jr., Altoona, Iowa – Pharmacy/Interdisciplinary Studies;
- Cody Donnelly, R-Fr., Philip – Wildlife and Fisheries Science;
- Cade King, Sr., Waseca, Minnesota – Economics/Business Economics;
- Bowen McConville, Sr., Renton, Washington – Business Economics/Criminology;
- A.J. Nevills, Grad., Clovis, California – Operations Management;
- Roman Rogotzke, R-Fr., Stillwater, Minnesota – Business Economics;
- Jacob Schoon, Sr., Brookings – Business Economics;
- Tanner Sloan, Sr., Alburnett, Iowa – Animal Science/Agricultural Science;
- Cael Swensen, R-Fr., Plymouth, Minnesota – Business Economics.
Carlson was honored for the fourth time, while Casperson, DeVos, King, and McConville received recognition for the third year in a row. Sloan was a repeat selection to the first team, with Cook moving up to the first team after a second-team designation in 2022.
Earning second-team honors were:
- Connor Gaynor, R-Fr., Mokena, Illinois – Exercise Science;
- Caleb Gross, Jr., Pound, Wisconsin – Civil Engineering;
- Isaac Klinkhammer, R-Fr., Sioux Falls – Construction Management;
- Alek Martin, R-Fr., St. Paris, Ohio – Sport and Recreation Management;
- Caleb Orris, Sr., Clark — Exercise Science/Pre-Physical Therapy.
- Gross received second-team accolades for the third time in his career, with Orris earning his second Academic All-Big 12 award.
First-team members consist of those who have maintained a 3.20 or better GPA, while the second-team selections hold a 3.00 to 3.19 GPA.
To qualify, student-athletes must maintain a 3.00 GPA or higher, either cumulative or the two previous semesters and must have participated in 20 percent of their team’s scheduled contests. Freshmen and transfers are not eligible in their first year of academic residence. Senior student-athletes who have participated for a minimum of two years and meet all the criteria except percent of participation are also eligible.
Check out Jackrabbit Wrestling at gojacks.com and on Twitter | Facebook | Instagram. Buy Jackrabbit Tickets