Feb. 4 – Northern State at SCSU, 7 p.m.
Feb. 5 – Mary at SCSU, 2 p.m.
- #3 St. Cloud State University (15-2) will offer a special Youth/Prep Wrestling Weekend on Feb. 4-5. All youth (12th grade and under) will be admitted for just $1 to the SCSU wrestling matches on Feb. 4 and Feb. 5. The #3 ranked Huskies will battle NSIC rival Northern State University at 7 p.m. on Feb. 4 in Halenbeck Hall. The weekend of wrestling will be completed with a 2 p.m. home match against NSIC rival University of Mary. This special price to attend the matches is an excellent way for youngsters to check out some excellent NCAA wrestling action in Halenbeck Hall this weekend. As always, all SCSU students are admitted FREE to all regular season home wrestling matches in 2010-11.
- WATCH ON THE WEB! The upcoming matches vs. NSU and Mary can be viewed on the web by going to this website:http://pennatlantic.com
- Over 50 alumni wrestlers were on hand to celebrate Husky Wrestling Alumni Day at SCSU on Jan. 30. SCSU responded to the big crowd in Halenbeck Hall with a big 38-3 win over visiting MSU Moorhead. The victory tied a team record for dual wins in a season, as the Huskies are now 15-2 in 2010-11. The 15-win record was originally set by SCSU during the 1964-65 season. Wrestlers from all eras of SCSU wrestling were on hand for the event, which concluded with an evening social at DB Searle’s in downtown St. Cloud. SCSU opened its week with a tough 18-13 loss to #2 Augustana in Sioux Falls. A well-played match, Augie relied upon two OT victories in the dual to gain the edge. A highlight of that match was SCSU’s #5 John Sundgren win over #2 Marcus Eddington at 157-pounds. SCSU’s #1 Jake Kahnke gained a major decison win at heavyweight, while #2 Tad Merritt won at 165-pounds and Mic Berg won at 184-pounds.
- The Huskies were ranked #3 in the latest DII Coaches’ Poll behind Nebraska Omaha. Here is a rundown of SCSU’s nationally ranked wrestlers in 2010-11: Jacob D. Horn (#4 at 149-pounds), John Sundgren (#5 at 157-pounds), Tad Merritt (#2 at 165-pounds), Shamus O’Grady (#7 at 174-pounds), and Jake Kahnke (#1 at 285-pounds). The poll was released on Jan. 19.
- Junior Tad Merritt continues to lead the Huskies this season with 27 victories (27-3) and 11 pins. Merritt is ranked #2 in the nation.
- At 285-pounds, #1 ranked Jake Kahnke is 19-1 this season for SCSU.
- SCSU placed 3rd at the 2011 NWCA Division II National Duals on Jan. 8-9. The third place finish is the best in team history for the Huskies at the DII National Duals.
- The St. Cloud State University wrestling team (14-7, 5-2 NSIC/3rd) captured 7th place at the 2010 NCAA Division II wrestling championships on March 12-13, in Omaha, Neb. This marks the Huskies best NCAA finish since capturing 7th place in 1983. This also marked the best finish for the Huskies at the NCAA tournament since Steve Costanzo took over as head coach in 2006-07. This marked the 8th time since 1975 that SCSU has charted a top-10 place at the NCAA championships. The 7th place finish is the best ever for the Huskies at the NCAA DII level. SCSU placed eighth at the nationals in 2009, 1986 and 1976. SCSU also placed third at nationals during the 1963 and 1965 seasons as an NAIA affiliate.
- The Huskies qualified 8 wrestlers for the NCAA championships in 2010. SCSU wrestlers earning All-America status at the meet were Jacob Kahnke (4th place at 285), Tad Merritt (5th place at 165), Shamus O’Grady (6th place at 174) and Gabe Suarez (8th place at 141). This marked the first All-America finish for Kahnke, O’Grady and Suarez, while Merritt is now a two-time All-America award winner for the Huskies. The four All-Americans ties a team record for the Huskies, as SCSU also brought home four NCAA All-America honors in 1983 and 1975.
- The Huskies will have two major targets on the wrestling room wall this season. First up is the 2011 NCAA Regional championships on Feb. 27 in Sioux Falls, S.D. This tournament serves as a qualifier for the other big date – March 11-12, which is the 2011 NCAA DII championships.